Friday 28 November 2008

Gift projects a go-go

First of all I must thank those of you who have commented on other entries. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I tell evil Yahoo mail, the replies always get chucked in the spam folder. Grrr. It also still annoys me that Blogger doesn't allow replies to replies so a conversation builds up. One of the major bad points of Blogger IMO.

Anyway, I've been working away feverishly on various projects. A few weeks ago I was told that my aunt had been diagnosed with cancer. On hearing that she was to have chemotherapy, my first thought was "she's having chemotherapy? During a New York winter? I must make a hat!" Well, the hat became a hat, handwarmers and scarf set made from Fyberspates Squishy Alpaca/BFL:

Margaretset
margaretscarf margarethat margarethandwarmers


And so my uncle doesn't feel left out, I made him a cabled scarf from some Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran in my stash:
cabled2


I was already working on an idea for a Christmas present for my aunt and uncle; a little felted cushion made from New Lanark yarn. I finished that too, but I'm not entirely satisfied as I was hoping it would shrink more lengthwise than widthwise and become squarer than it did. I was also going to adorn the corners with pompoms and bells but I was underwhelmed by the pompom maker I bought, and frankly I'm too lazy to make pompoms the old fashioned way. I present my funny little overstuffed cushion:
minicushion


A ribbed scarf for my partner's Dad for Christmas:
stripyribbed scarf

That's Patons Shadow Tweed, which is self-striping and works perfectly with the crocheted ribs. I'm tempted to make one for myself, in a different colour - I don't think orange/green/red stripes are really 'me.'

I finished the experimental cardigan I talked about in my last entry. It's a slightly odd shape (haven't quite mastered the art of modifications yet) and is a little too big, but on the whole I'm pleased. I might straighten out those buttons though. Photos pre-washing:

bluecardigan
bluecardiganpattern2 bluecardiganbuttons bluecardiganpattern


My latest experiments are in crocheting snowflakes from thread... lesson one: do not attempt to block snowflakes after wine consumption.

3 comments:

Zu said...

Those gifts are gorgeous! Your aunt will really appreciate the cozy set you made for her. :-)

Charity said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt - I'm sure the gifts will make her feel much loved!

vicky said...

Hi Laura ... I like the round yoke crocheted sweaters ... especially the one with the color work ... been looking for a pattern and wondering where you got yours so I can experiment a bit too!!! Thanks ... Vicky ... millsvc@aol.com